The WeLead Initiative was created to identify and mentor emerging and/or new librarians for leadership positions within WLA and the profession. The WeLead Task Force selects four to six protégés and mentors for each 2-year WeLead class.
During the two-year initiative selected participants will be given:
- a two-year WLA membership
- stipends to attend the WLA annual conference
- a stipend to attend one unit conference
- an appointment to a WLA or unit committee, board or project
- special leadership programming opportunities
- and the ability to network with their mentor
What is an “emerging” librarian?
For the purposes of this initiative, emerging librarians will be defined as students, paraprofessionals, and professionals either currently studying library science or currently employed in the library field.
- Applicants must be students, paraprofessionals and professionals currently in the field of library science
- Applicants should have demonstrated potential to be future library leaders
- Applicants must be willing to attend the WLA annual conference during the two-year WeLead Initiative
- Applicants must be willing to attend one additional conference (WAPL, WAAL or WEMTA) during the two-year WeLead Initiative
- Applicants may either:
1) have never been a member of the Wisconsin Library Association or
2) have been a member for three years or less (not including student memberships)
The protégés will be selected by the WLA WeLead Task Force. The task force will select a diverse group of participants from all areas of library service.
This recruitment, retention and leadership development program contributes toward achieving a major WLA goal: strengthening WLA and the profession. WLA recognizes the need to cultivate a new generation of leaders who will advance WLA’s mission to the library profession, and who will benefit the profession by their experience in WLA. Identifying a small group of potential leaders and providing them training, mentoring, and networking relationships and skill development is an investment WLA is willing to assume to ensure a strong and vibrant library leadership.
WLA thanks current WeLead sponsors: the WLA Foundation and Embury, Ltd.